Wednesday, December 7, 2016

From Ansel Adams to Enchiladas


I awoke this morning with a frigid blanket covering my body that provided about as much warmth as a wet newspaper.  I should have used a bag of frozen peas for a pillow just to add a dose of insult to the injury.  My skate down to 7-11 for coffee was done with more urgency and vigor on this particular morning, not because of an increased energy level, but as a way to generate warmth in my icicle toes.  My breath floats like a ghoulish figure through the crisp air and the sky is a somber grey.  Winter's grasp has overtaken San Jose, so let us think back to the balmy days of fall.

The Calderwood tradition of eating at this tiny Los Banos taqueria on the way to Thanksgiving dinner is completely glutenous but totally essential.  This year it was closed, which makes me think a trip back to Los Banos might take place in the very near future.

Day trips to Yosemite are becoming the new Calderwood Thanksgiving tradition.  The al pastor is not quite as tasty as Cotija's, but the scenery makes up for it. 

My uncle Vince is a big dude, coaches football, and does not come off as the warm friendly type.  He also makes a killer carrot cake!

Everyone probably thinks that their mother makes the best enchiladas on earth, but they are wrong, because mine does.  Writing this Clog has made me realize that many of my fall traditions involve Mexican food.

My store's remodel has forced me to be something of a Starbucks journeyman, floating from one location to another like some long haired nomadic creature.  The Curtner Starbucks just so happens to be conveniently located next to a bar called The Office.  Buy one well drink and get the second for two dollars seems like a great deal, until you realize the first drink is overpriced and the liquor is awful.  You probably want to avoid this place even if you feel a bit thirsty during your Christmas shopping.

No comments: