Sunday, January 8, 2017

Joaquin(g) murri(ly)eta into 2017

The first week of 2017 has seen relentless rain that will surely wash away the sins and blunders of the previous year.  Apparently 2016 was a wretched bitch of a year that swept through our peaceful lives reeking havok like a plague of locust.  Perhaps my head was lodged up my rear end for the past twelve months because I found 2016 to be rather pleasant.  Christmas and the days following it were especially nice.  Allow me to guide you on a strange journey accompanied by photos.


My father has decided that after he retires most of his time will dedicated to fishing, and a whole slew of other very random and borderline unrealistic activities.


The fish were not the least bit hungry, so Tom suggested we go wine tasting.  He pulled off the road quickly because of a sign for Murrieta's Well, which my father thought was some historic landmark for the notorious California Gold Rush bandit Joaquin Murrieta.  It turned out to actually be a winery, and a very overpriced one at that.  While strolling around Murrieta's Well I could not help but imagine I was on the premises of some powerful criminal's fortress.   


Joaquin Murrieta's Fortress is lined with beautiful agave plants, that are harvest and used to make the bandido's delicious tequila.

The dining hall is also quite magnificent!  My imagination has now completely gotten away from me, so now I will sprinkle a light dusting of facts over my bundt cake of lies.


 Joaquin Murrieta's head was severed and preserved in a jar of alcohol by the rangers that apprehended him as proof of his capture.  It was displayed to the public in Stockton and San Francisco, with a low admission price of one dollar.  Strange how this is the historically accurate portion of this Clog.  Happy fishing.

No comments: