Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Back to the Soil


My friend is dying right across the room from me.  He won't eat, he wont drink and death is peering in through the door of the room we both share.  He rejects the water I pour for him and the crickets I feed him.  Insects that have sustained him through over two decades either wither away and die at his shaking feet, or keep me up during the night with their relentless chirping.  They are a constant reminder of the thousands of crickets I have sacrificed so that may dear lizard Mookie may eat.  I either hunt them down and kill them so that I myself may sleep undisturbed, or remain deprived of rest in hopes my reptilian friend can have one last meal.  Payback is a real mother fucker.

Shown above is Mookie's final resting place.  He is buried next to the grave of his female companion, Mocha, who died many years earlier.  

No comments: