Friday, October 29, 2010

Subpar Pumpkin

Today I saddled up my bamboo bike and set out for some more frozen pumpkin yum yums. This time I decided to get my fix at one of my childhood haunts, Thrifty Drug Store, or to be more accurate, "The Drug Store Formally Known as Thrifty (aka DSFKT). The name has been changed to Right Aid, but the ice cream remains Thrifty Brand, so don't trip. I have fond memories of coming here while staying at my grandmas house. I can vividly recall the shape of the scooper, the water rinsing faucet it rested in, and the perfect cylindrical form of the scoops, and most of all, the divine taste.



If you were to ask the nine year old Kevin Calderwood how he felt about pumpkin ice cream, he would most likely make an obscene face and mention something about poop. Needless to say my palate has grown considerably, and these days I hardly settle for plain old vanilla (unless of course it is from Dolce Spazio, but that will have to wait until a later post). Unfortunately Thrifty Pumpkin Ice Cream is somewhat bland. I found very little spice in this blend, and a severe lack of richness and depth. There was a nice pumpkin, but after a few bites it became tiresome. Nevertheless, Thrifty Ice Cream brought me back to a simpler and more innocent time in my life. Sometimes, that's all a man needs.

No comments: